Summer has officially arrived, and so many of us are excited to once again gather with friends and family outdoors, hopefully with some delicious food!
Coleslaw is that classic, cool side dish at cookouts, and I wanted to make one for a picnic-to-go, along with Kvaroy Arctic salmon burgers and hotdogs.
I love Kvaroy’s salmon burgers and dogs because they were developed as a zero waste solution to combat food waste by utilizing all parts of the fish. Plus, their salmon farm operates in line with the highest aquaculture sustainability standards.
This fun, flavorful seaweed coleslaw takes inspiration from the flavors of traditional Thai papaya salad, while incorporating seaweed!
The crunch of jicama in this recipe replaces the green papaya often found in Thai salads, but the flavor and heat here are very much the same.
The addition of the seaweed brings a delicious umami that cannot be beat! Plus, eating seaweed is a food choice you can make to help contribute to restoring the oceans. You can really experiment with adding any sea vegetables to this dish. In fact, this coleslaw would be incredible with the addition of fresh sea lettuce, if you can find it!
I invite you to have your own seafood picnic this summer, featuring sustainable seafood bites that contribute to healthy oceans and seafood industries across the globe. When you pair your al fresco meal with an elegant Cabernet Sauvignon from Dough Wines, it elevates the picnic to something truly special, with lots of complex and interesting flavors.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
For the Slaw:
- 4 cups cored, finely shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup very thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 cup stemmed, seeded, and very thinly sliced green pepper
- 1 cup shredded jicama
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon very thinly sliced garlic
For the Dressing:
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian hot oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons dried seaweed flakes
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots, onion, green pepper, jicama, jalapeño, and garlic.
- In a smaller bowl, combine ginger, cumin, vinegar, soy sauce, oils, salt, and pepper. Beat in the cilantro and seaweed.
- Toss the dressing with the cabbage mix, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
Want more picnic-friendly recipes? Try your hand at a stunning Seacuterie Board!