This easy-breezy shrimp ceviche recipe is the best dish for the end of summer. Cool, light, and refreshing, it is made with just a few simple, ocean-friendly ingredients creating a flavor explosion for your tastebuds.
When it comes to wild shrimp, my go-to is Del Pacifico Shrimp. Based out of Mexico, they work in close collaboration with artisanal fishers and give them a fair chance to compete in the global seafood market, which is dominated by industrial fishing. They’re also the first shrimp company in the world to receive the Fair Trade USA certification, which means they check all of the boxes when it comes to labor, trade, and responsible environmental practices.
But my “secret sauce” for this shrimp ceviche comes from the additional umami in the kelp puree. Fresh cooked shrimp, crisp veggies, and buttery avocado are all tossed together with an ingredient working hard to restore our ocean water.
Now THAT that is a great dish for the climatarian in all of us!
- 1 pound frozen and thawed Del Pacifico shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and deveined, then seasoned with kosher salt to taste, and then chopped
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Blue Evolution Alaskan Kombu Kelp Puree
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced into small pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ to ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or as desired
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or as desired
- Tostados or tortilla chips
To a large shallow bowl, add the cleaned shrimp, lime juice, and season with salt to taste. Place in the fridge for one hour.
To a large bowl, add the tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
Add the shrimp and lime juice to the bowl with the vegetables, stir to combine, and taste to check for seasoning balance. Serve immediately with chips.
Can’t get enough shrimp? Try topping your pizza with it for this Poached Shrimp Pizza with Seaweed Basil Pesto!