Summer is all about refreshing dishes filled with bright flavors and colors, and this recipe is just that! This Thai Basil Summer Bowl is loaded with healthy veggies like carrots and peppers, plus a vibrant sauce thanks to lime, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sesame. But the truly special ingredient that makes the dish shine is a delicious kelp burger that provides protein and umami deliciousness.
One of the ways we can contribute to restoring our oceans to a state of THRIVING abundance in our daily lives is by eating more KELP!
You can make it easy for yourself by stocking your Sea Pantry with different kinds of seaweeds and ingredients made with kelp that you can always reach for while cooking.
For the freezer, the Akua Kelp Burger is a fantastic plant-based protein to have on hand for quick and easy ocean-friendly meals. The delicious burger includes cremini mushrooms, black beans, quinoa, crushed tomatoes, and pea protein along with kelp farmed off the coast of Maine by women farmers.
While I love a classic burger, there are other ways to enjoy a burger patty—especially one made with kelp. For this recipe, I crumbled up the burger and sauteed it with veggies and a delicious umami-packed sauce, then spooned it over rice to create colorful, fragrant Thai Basil Summer Bowls!
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 AKUA kelp burgers, thawed and broken into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 red bell peppers, seeded, de-veined and sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, julienned or coarsely grated
- 1 cup Thai basil
- Steamed rice and lime wedges (for serving)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the crumbled burgers. Add the garlic and 1 chile and cook, stirring, breaking up the burgers and cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, mix lime juice, vegetable broth, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and sesame seeds until sugar dissolves. Add to the burger mixture, season with salt and pepper, and toss lightly to combine. Add the pepper, the onion and the carrots. Cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Toss the mixture with the basil.
- Divide the rice into four bowls. Spoon the AKUA burger mixture over the rice. Serve lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.
Want more ways to eat your AKUA burger? Try this Tuscan Kelp Burger with Pesto Mayo!